Sunday, January 4, 2015

So Cold... But Too Stubborn to Do Something About It.


In the house getting ready to blog... so cold!
So the challenge for today was to try and reduce my carbon footprint.  I laughed when I saw it last night because I had already committed to going to the gym.  The gym is 3.5 km away.  Car pooling was out of the question, given I did not know anyone else going.  Public transit was considered for a millisecond, but then I remembered there is an hour wait for buses on the weekend and I did not want the hassle of figuring out which bus I needed to take and where I needed to catch it.  So the decision was made for me-  I hoofed it to and from the gym.

Mother Nature decided to test my resolve. I awoke to a snow squall warning and unploughed sidewalks that were littered not only with freshly fallen snow, but with the snow the careened over the banks from the street plows.  Just a little something special to help me warm-up before going to Blast and then the Centergy class.
A better section of sidewalk

Sections of the sidewalk were passable on the way home, but a majority of the route was socked in with snow.  I slipped and slided my way down the hill and made it home.... where I devoured a bowl of borscht... double sour cream and a 1/4 of a steaming hot apple pie.  4 hours of working out can really increase an appetite.

Walking was just part of my plan.... other efforts to reduce my carbon footprint today, included:
  • Limited use of lights.
  • Charging all electronics during non-peak hours, the night before.
  • Unplugging all unnecessary items.
  • No TV. 
  • Creating minimal garbage.
  • Reusing paper and recycling.
  • Limited use of the stove and oven.
  • Waiting to ensure a large load of dishes before filling the sink.
  • Letting the "yellow" mellow.
  • Using lukewarm water to was my hands and shower
  • Keeping the heat at 18 degrees Celsius.... even though I am very, very chilled.  
I am glad to report the use of two hats, an extra layer of fleece clothing and flip-top mitts has helped warm me up.  In addition to drinking some hot tea and using my new electric hand warmer-  which is currently residing in my bra to warm my chestial region.

Oh the things I do in the name of change.

Other challenges to report on:

I have decided how I am going to stretch the $20.  Did you know that you can get 36 granola bars, one box of Smarties and 16 juice boxes for under $20.  I didn't either until yesterday.  But that is not how I stretched my $20.  After much consideration I have come to the conclusion that my mother is right!  That odd sound that you hear right now is my Mother doing a victory dance to that classic tune, known and sung by all mothers, called "I told you so!".   

The thing is I really, really, really want to be successful at this challenge so I thought and thought and the light bulb clicked on-  it is all in the interpretation of stretching.  Stretch could mean spending but it can also mean growing.  Viola!  I will invest it tomorrow when I meet with my banker.  Another challenge complete.

The challenge for Day 3 was to book a trip to take a future date.  I did not have any hesitation about what trip I would be booking but the taking part required some planning of when I could go.  The trip will be to Killarney Park where I will solo back-pack "The Crack" and back.  Four days of physical challenges and working on my mental perseverance..... I am excited!!!!!!! ( I will limit the number of exclamation points because in my exuberance to demonstrate my excitement I am more than likely to fill a whole page with them.)  I can't believe it-  Jan 3 and I have already booked a hunk of my 2015 vacation.  

Here is a sampling of some of the hiking I will be doing this summer.

Oh the climbing

But the views will be worth it.
Bonus tip of the day-  

When blogging by candle light and drinking tea, I highly suggest making sure your tea is the container that closest to you.  There was a near miss incident with the candle.  Thank goodness I noticed before I started pouring hot wax into my mouth.... but just think of how interesting the next blog would have been.  Missed opportunities to showcase my klutziness.

2 comments:

  1. Hilariousness, Max!

    Thanks for welcoming me to join you on this challenge. Today was to finish something on my to-do list and do a happy dance when it is completed. My to-do list now has another checkmark, but I forgot to do the happy dance.

    My day isn't over yet, so I may get the happy dance in yet. or, it might just wait for tomorrow when the challenge is to surprise myself.

    charge on, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying this as much as I am. My challenge for tomorrow is to do something to improve my health or life.

    ReplyDelete