Sunday, January 11, 2015

Smiling On The Inside- The Outside Is Too Weepy To Participate.

So the challenge for today was to smile.  Last night when I drew it out of the jar I thought "Easy peasy!"  Having the Seahawks win their game against the Panthers, making it through to the NFC Championship game next weekend, seemed to solidify that a perma-grin would be plastered on my face today.  

Well the universe had other plans in store.  Is being able to smile a challenge?????

HELL NO!!!!

Anyone can smile!  Try smiling when your insides are breaking into a bazillion little pieces.  Not so easy.  

When I moved out on my own, I decided to move to a city where I knew no one.  I was young and wanted an exciting change.  It did not take long to discover that I do better with a support network.  Unfortunately my network was miles and miles away.  New job, new town, no friends, shyness= loneliness.  I wanted to adopt a dog, but my landlord informed me dogs were forboden.   However, I could have a cat if I wanted.  Problem solved- cat adopted.

Gidge and Syd- The Early Years
Gidget provided the companionship that I sought and also gave me a reason to leave work at work and head home each night.  Things were going great until she decided to show her "love" via fangs and claws.  I had to wear long sleeves, even in the heat of the summer, as my arms looked like I kanoodled with Freddie Krugger every night.

Three months later, I could no longer take Gidget's loving affection.... I needed to do something and something fast.  I was desperate, but I had a plan.....  I would adopt another cat.  That is when Syd entered the picture.  Syd was Gidge's polar opposite... dainty, loving and more interested in fetching toys- than ripping my arms to shreds.

The plan worked.... Gidge transferred all her aggressive tendencies to Syd and I found myself with two cats to love.  Even better, Syd did not like people and would hide whenever anyone came over, so for all others knew I only had one cat.

Over the last 18 years Syd has taught me many things....
Sage Syd... The Purveyor of Life Lessons
  • How to speak cat-  "Mrrrow?"- means "Where are you?  OR I'm not happy." and Meemrrow means "Hey there you are!!!!  It has been too long.... let's catch-up.  Everything is going to be alright.".  
  • Effective evasive measures to use when scared-  hide under the covers... or in the drop ceiling or on the top shelf of the closet.... no one will look for, nor find you there.  
  • That a cat's life can be stressful and can result in multiple stomach ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome.  It has to be taxing on the system trying to decide which sun beam to sleep in and to handle the antics of other furry herd members.  
  • It is possible to "loosen-up" with age-  over the last four years she has started visiting vs hiding when others enter the house.
  • One can hold onto their hopes and dreams until their dying days, even if they don't come true.  I am positive that Syd's main goal in life is to be an only pet.  Unfortunately I keep adding to the furry herd as members cross the Rainbow Bridge.  
  • Sunbeams can make everything that is wrong in the world, right again!
  • She taught me patience.... patience when nursing her thorough her many illnesses and patience when dealing with her "talking times".  She also demonstrated extreme patience when Gidge, in a fit of "eye whisker envy" would throw Syd in a head lock and proceed to rip out her upper whiskers from the root.  Through it all Syd was patient... demonstrating that even in unpleasant times, if one is patient, good times and upper whiskers will return. 
There have been countless other lessons over the years, but to list them all would bore you and tax your patience so I will end my tribute here.

As you have probably deduced, Syd has given me her sign.  Her sign that she is ready to tap out of life.  This morning she started having difficulty walking and standing.  She has taken up residence in front of the hot air register and can not move more that a couple inches in either direction.  She can not even manage to stand to eat or drink.

Tomorrow I will be saying my final farewell.  Tomorrow will mark the end of a friendship that has spanned close to half my life.  This is the part about having pets that really blows dead bears..... saying good-bye.

I hold on to the fact that she gave me 18 amazing years of love and acceptance... more than any of other furry herd members.  Maybe she held on so long
because she has as hard of a time saying goodbye as I do, or maybe she just plain stubborn... wanting to be the last pet standing.  Either way my heart is breaking and my gratefulness cup runneth over and is currently cascading down my face and out of my nose.  Off to pull myself together and to spend our last treasured moments together.

Farewell Syd!
Syd-  July 1996- Jan 12, 2015   To be determined at a later date!

1 comment: