Saturday, January 3, 2015

Cinderella, Cinderella!

Cinderella had a shoe-  I a mitt!
I did it again... I let my imagination and my need to star in my own romantic comedy get the best of me.   Picture it... New Year's Eve.  I head to the store in search of the last ingredients that I needed to make my Challenge meal for the next day.  I walk the aisles and get through the till with amazing speed.

I feel lucky.  Blessed even!

I head to the vehicle.  That is when I notice the pocket that contained my brand new mitts felt  suspiciously lighter than it had at the beginning of the shopping trip.  I reach into the pocket only to confirm that was two is now one.

I head back to the store, scanning the parking lot for my missing mitt.  No mitt.  I head directly to Customer Service only to be told that nothing had been turned in.   Drat!

I decided to conduct my own search and rescue mission, as I refused to get only one use out of a $45 pair of mitts.  As I start the search, my mind possibly fuelled by "Time After Time" playing on the loudspeakers- starts creating a positively Cinderellaesque meet-cute scene from a romantic comedy.

I would find my mitt in the basket of a mysterious man with chiseled features. Curious- he looks an awful like Gerard Butler.  I would thank him for rescuing my mitt.  He would insist I try it on... you know just to make sure that it fit and I was the rightful owner.  Was that a delightful Scottish accent I heard?

Our eyes would lock and we would just know we were meant to be.  He would ask me what my plans were for the night.  He would tell me to cancel them as I now have plans with him.  Dot.... dot..... DOT!

Flash forward a year and we are sipping a non-alcoholic beverage in the exact same spot where we first met, toasting to a great year.  He drops something.... bends down to pick it up.  Now he is on one knee and that is when I spy the box-

OMG!

He proposes.... I say yes.  My eyes fill with tears of joy.... he rises, we embrace... music plays and the scene fades to darkness.

Just writing it out I am in bliss!   Sigh!!!!

Any version of the above would have been better than what happened.

I searched the store.  Buttkiss.  No mitt.... no handsome stranger... nary an accent to be heard.

I ask at Customer Service again, only to be told-  NO!

I walked into the bitter wind, one hand freezing to drive home to face the dawning of a new year alone.

Someday my meet cute will happen.... I continue to

hold out hope.

PS.  The wayward mitt was turned in Friday morning.  I did a dance of joy-  didn't even care about the stares from the other patrons.
Reunited!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment