Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Pointenstein

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ksor/files/201403/frankenstein.jpg
My brother laughed when he heard the rules of the Corporate Fit Challenge.  He couldn't believe that they engineered something so perfectly matched to my personality.  He pointed out that it would not be long before I was totally consumed by points.    See he knows me and that fact that points for making the right choices and a team based approach .... well that is like crack cocaine to a gal who strives to please those around her.

As soon as I heard about the points I, a non-lover of math,  had my calculator out trying to determine the maximum point spread and how to maximize my overall points based on my schedule.  I was like Russel Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind".  I had formulas,  graphs and pie charts..... ummm pie.....  sorry just a little distracted.......figured out for all six weeks of the challenge.  A monster.... or in this case a Pointenstein... was created.

My friend recently commented that that reason I have become obsessed with earning points is because I am overly competitive.   Sure I will admit that I am competitive.... who doesn't see a person walking ahead of them on the sidewalk and say "Hey.... I bet I can catch up to them!"   And then after you do catch up with them your first thought is "I totally can pass them!",  even though your shins and lungs are screaming because you have pushed them beyond their limits.

What?  You don't do that?

Hmmmm this is a tad awkward!

However, I swear on a mountain of Bibles-  in this situation my desire to win was not the seed that fertilized the Pointenstein zygote.... nope nothing could be farther from the truth.   My main goal upon joining was not to be last in the competition and within my team.  I would be perfectly happy being just average-  run of the mill...... middle of the pack.

Unfortunately my tendency to panic, thinking others will achieve more than I do and then ipso facto  I by default will be last, has gotten me into a bit of pickle...... yummmmm pickle (yet another food item I am not allowed to have).

What happened?

The first week I hit my target-  middle of the pack status.  I felt good.  Then during a group workout someone mentioned that they had spent 5 hours doing moderately exerting physical activity on the weekend..... I did the math...... 20 points!!!!!!!!

I started getting the jitters.  My mind raced!  What if everyone else earned as many or more points.  My brain screamed..... "You're screwed!"

Panic, panic, panic..... my plans were eroding before my eyes.  There was only one course of action; I needed to set the bar higher then I originally intended.   The joke was on me though.  The other participants put in solid performances, but nothing close to the person I had been talking with.

That is how I ended up being the top of the leader board for weekly points on the second week.

Yikes!

I would have to adjust my game plan.  No problem, I was traveling for work.  All that sitting would greatly reduce my ability to earn movement points.

Right?

Not so much!  I frickin' repeated my week two performance for week three.  How could that be?  I was sure it was a math error... as my Grade 12 Math teacher liked to point I am totally inconsistent when it comes to math.   I triple checked my math..... the results came up the same every time.

UGHHHHHHH!!!!

What makes it worse is the fact that I have now set the all time highest score for weekly points for the Corporate Fit Challenge... not just with my workplace but for all workplaces that have participated.

Crap, Crap, Crap!  What the hell was a I thinking?

Now I have started a stupid trend.  Now I have a title to defend.  The pressure is on!  Not good.  To think this all happened because I did not want to be last.

Will I ever learn my lesson?

Probably not.... fear+points+people pleasing= overachieving Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment