Thursday, January 18, 2024

Warp Speed Ahead!

I went to sleep on Monday night and I woke up and it was Thursday!

WHAT!!!! 

Where did Tuesday, Wednesday go?  What did I do??? How could time just disappear like that?

I remember when time seemed to stretch into a vast void.  A time where I would look at the clock and it would read 10:00.  What felt like hours and days would go by and I would  look again it was 10:02.  How I long for those days. 

Did all my years  wishing that time would hurry up,  finally come true?  If that is the case, youth be careful what you wish for.  The speed at which time moves now is both alarming and leaves me feeling dizzy and off centred…. And yes I am sure it isn’t the post concussion symptoms acting up. 

Hazel and Brie perfectly sum up what this month has been like for me.  Hazel (the older dog) is time and I am Brie trying to catch up, almost getting there only to be body slammed when I least expect it. All my plans that I had hoped to accomplish this week have slowly dissolved into nothingness.   On the bright side tomorrow is Friday, which means I have two solid days to buckle down and tick a few tasks of the ole’ to do list.    

Is anyone else feeling like Jan is slipping away like sands through the hour glass… so are the days of our lives 😳 (Sorry I couldn’t help myself it was low hanging fruit and a ode to my younger soap opera watching self). 

Yesterday was the Turkey’s ninth birthday. It seems impossible that he is that old but his progressive sugar face is a sure sign that time is passing.  I consider myself lucky that he made it past the dreaded 8 year mark.  Eight seems to be the magic number for most Golden’s, an age where many succumb to the dreaded “C” word.  I feel blessed that Ferg has made it to the BONUS years!

From this to….

To This… “Pour Some Sugar On Me”

All dog owners hope and pray that they get as much time as possible with their furry side kick, but all too many are not so fortunate.  Just the thought has me tearing up.  I feel for the owners and for the loss of all the Good Boys and Girlies who are no longer here to play a game of fetch,  answer questions with a goofy tilt of the head, swiftly zoom away with contraband and to wolf down items that were never meant to be consumed.   

The silence that happens after the passing of a furry family member is shattering.  You don’t realize how much you miss the sound of nails on the hardwood, or the warmth of a giant head on your lap, a soulful stare that lets you know in the core of your being that you will be okay, even though your brain is telling you nothing will ever will be right again.  Just when you need them the most, they are gone and the pit of despair becomes just a little deeper.   

The saying is “Time heals all wounds!”.  but when it comes to the loss of a dog I don’ t agree.  The wound is always there, just smaller with longer periods of time between the bouts of heartache and the tears.  That is the unconditional love tax that comes due when our furry guardians cross over the Rainbow Bridge.  It is a tax that I am glad to pay many times over, as it means I had the bestest of the best in my life be it for a minute, an hour or years and years.  

This post is dedicated to all the awesome dogs that have passed.  Thanks for making life a little more beautiful, bright and fun.  

The OG Dude. 2005- 2019





No comments:

Post a Comment