Monday, October 24, 2016

The Furry Herd Makes Friends

Every now and then I like to mix things up to see what it would be like to expand the herd.  Instead of jumping right into adopting another fur child I test the waters by dog sitting.  This last week a co-worker was in a bind.  She was going on holidays and her dog sitter had to leave for a few days to travel for work.  I suggested her dogs could stay at my house for the days when her sitter was travelling.  My co-worker nervously accepted.

At first I thought her hesitation was related to a fear that I would not be up to the challenge.  As it turns out she was worried how one of her girls would react to being in a house with other dogs.  I guess her youngest likes to rule the roost and she was afraid she would have the boys cowering in a corner.  We arranged to meet the Sunday before handoff to allow the dogs to meet on neutral territory.  Her two were perfectly behaved... mine... well Ferg was Ferg and he managed to trip me on the walk.  Nothing quite like falling ass over tea kettle in front of the person you are trying impress with your sage dog skills.   

After the walk we headed back to my place and my co-worker commented about having the girls check out my house.  

I froze.  See my home is like my fortress of solitude.  I and I alone get to use it.  I don't have people over.   Really close friends who have known me for years and years and years barely  make it past my front entrance.  They are all shaking their head in agreement right now.  

Don't ask me why.  Maybe it was because visitors to my childhood house led to panicked cleaning and dread.  Maybe it is because I suck at hostessing.... I truly don't think about other peoples needs and when I go to other peoples house I reciprocate by trying to minimize use of dishes and having to attend to my needs.   Maybe it is because my house is in a perpetual state of "improvement", one that I can live with, but others may not understand.  Maybe it is because I need a safe zone, one where I can be myself and where I don't have to worry about being judged.  Maybe it is the fear the dogs will misbehave jumping and slobbering on those to enter..... which they invariably do.  

What I do know is- people in my house= anxiety and I don't like to feel anxious.  

What to do?

My co-worker felt very strongly that the dogs need to come in and check things out.  I attempted to deflect-  "Ohhh they will be fine!".  She insisted some more.  I reluctantly agreed.  I tried to Heisman my co-worker at the entrance.  Skillfully keeping people in the foyer is something I am usually really good at.... where I fail Ferg picks up an assist.  Somehow my co-worker pulled out some Ninja like stealth and made it past me and back-up Ferg.  Before I could say Ahhh she was walking around my house.  

Checking out Gimli... the sane one!
The dread level started to rise but was waylaid when the thinking part of my brain pointed out to my emotional centres that I should be celebrating.... I had quickly cleaned earlier that morning.... Whoo hooo!   At least mega slob status was off the table.

Fergus was overjoyed!  WALKS.... New Female Peeps.... VISITORS.... in that HOUSEEEEEE!.  He could not contain the bubbling over joy and enthusiam and launched himself at my co-worker as she settled on the couch.  The force of Ferg throws her back where her earring becomes entangled in the fringe on the cushion.  She is now trapped.  Ear welded to the cushion and Ferg in her lap, washing her face with gleeful abandon.  I run over to rescue her apologizing and silently wishing a pox upon Ferg.    She laughed it off, but after the third Ferg attack I could see the wariness in her eyes.   Meanwhile Gimli decided co-worker had had enough time to settle in and now she needed to pay the admittance fee.... legs to lean on, continuous petting and reserving all her love for him and him alone.

What were my co-workers' dogs doing.... the youngest developed a drooling issue that did not rectify itself until she left, the other froze with her little eyes bugging out and turned to face a corner.  If she could talk  WTF would have been on a loop.    I don't know if the visit allayed any fears my co-worker had or if it filled her with more worries.

How long low can you go...
The day finally arrived for the girls to come over.  The pick-up was successful, as was the entry into the house.  I decided to take them all on a walk so that they could start bonding and forming a shared pack mentality.  I was expecting full on pandemonium, but there was only a slight juggling of leashes and reconfiguring positions after each one stopped for a Number 2.... or left pee mail for the neighbouring dogs.  The boys insisted the girl's pee mail have an addendum-  "They are with us" added.  I guess that is what is fashionable in dog world right now.

The walk went so well, the group commanded the attention of passersby.  Drivers and passengers alike would look point and watch us walk by.  I am surprised there were no accidents, as more than a few drivers seemed to care more about our progress than the fact that their car was approaching a busy intersection.

Can you get that honking nose out of my face????
Walk finished, we entered the house.  "A", the one I was most worried about,  adjusted the fastest.  It seemed all she needed was to establish a "spot" and then she was set.  Her spot was the big couch cushion.  She nestled on in for the night.

"L" on the other had broke out into a nervous drool.  There were points where the drool spanned from her jowls to the floor... a very impressive feat and nothing a paper towel hankie could not correct.

By meal time A was settled and L was still having issues.  I put out the food but apparently the girls could not eat in the same vicinity as the boys.  I moved their food and A ate but only the kibble from the floor.  L refused to even try.   I will admit I was nervous, as both are known to be strong eaters.  I reintroduced the food dishes before bed and had a little more success.  A would still only eat from the floor but at least she was eating.  L decided to humour me and finish half a bowl.
It is stressful eating when you have an audience

I am almost 100% positive that L was of the opinion she would be fine at home.... alone... away from them all.  Any time "just the girls" were outside, L would try to make a break for it across the street or to the vehicle.  She would cast a look over her shoulder like "Wanna go on an adventure.... just the girls?".

The next morning I decided to experiment,  I switched the girls food from tin bowls to fine china fruit nappies... not because they required fine china but because that was the only thing that I have that is fruit bowl sized.  Success, both were eating from the new bowls.

I came home for lunch, wondering what I would find.  What I did find was the boys both trying to share the front door mat and the girls curled up in comfort on the couch.   It seems the boys had been told.... or maybe they were just being gentlemanly..... I prefer to think it was the latter.

The view as I left for work,,, Ferg and his girls
Walking continued to be a source of entertainment.  I was questioned by all that we encountered-  "Are you a professional dog walker?"  "Are those all yours?".  There were also the confidence boosting statements-  "You really have control over them all!!!"  This coming for a dude on a bike that was having difficulty keeping his pooch from crossing in front of him to say hi to the herd.  I was on top of the world.

By the final evening the only thing that the girls were not used to was the cat.  They were petrified of him and he knew it.  If he came in the girls froze or retreated.  Bill even tried to keep them trapped upstairs by sitting at the top of the stairs.  The girls started to walk-  got the heebee geebie eye from the cat and would not move another muscle.  Recognizing this might be an issue when I was gone at work I spent time encouraging the girls ignore that cat and continue on their merry way.  A & L would dart past the cat looking the opposite direction and race down the stairs to freedom and the cat free zone..... think cat trying to get away for Pepe Le Pew and you will have a pretty accurate picture of what that looked like.  Thank goodness Gimli and Fergus did not cotton to this or they would have started using Bill as their hired goon to take back the couch.

A and L were excited on the final morning when we pulled into their driveway..... HOME AT LAST!!!!!


Bill pretending he is a dog and sniffing bums

So what are the take aways from this-

a.  If you have made it past the front entrance of my house you are a very special person.
b.  Heck if you have made it in the front entrance or even remotely close to the front entrance you are special.
c.  Your dog may be invited in but please do not be offended if you aren't.  
d.  There is a chain reaction-  people in the house= increased anxious thoughts for Max; increased anxious thoughts= Ferg excitement level X 1, 000 which is equal to or greater than the odds that you will be jumped, licked or body slammed by said Fergus.
e.  I do have pack leader potential.  Something that is dangerous to know as it means I can successfully add to the furry herd should I choose.  
f.  Cats can be nefarious!
g.  There is no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment