Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Confessions of a Sleepaholic #182- Not everything needs to be a learning opportunity

Sometimes sleep eludes me and I stay up for hours and hours reflecting on choices, replaying scenarios and having conversations that will never happen.  Last night was one of those nights.  Not even David's Tea- Mother's Little Helper could slow down the bullet train of my brain.

After hours of reciting my mantra-  "A rest is as good as a sleep.", I finally passed out.  Enter the dreams.  My brain could not let go of what it needed to think through.

The dreams were a plenty.  There were two that I can recall with solid detail.

In one dream I was flying in a plane high above the earth.  The weird part was it was an open-air airplane and there were no seat belts.  At one point the plane made a turn and I tumbled out of my seat and started floating down to the ground.  I landed on some very cushy trees and walked away without a scrape.  Dream Max was pretty calm about it all and relished the sensations of floating and drifting.  Dream Max also appreciated the comfy landing.

The other memorable dream from last night involved partying at a wedding.  I was dancing up a storm and was overjoyed by the fact that when I jumped I flew higher and higher into the air.  I would float back down and land lightly only to bounce back up to a new found height.  At one point my head was brushing the 10 foot ceiling.   My stomach was doing flip flops but I was exhilarated..... finally I had enough hang time that I could do split hi-cuts (a Highland dance movement that has alluded me).   The wedding reception was fun and everyone was happy.  Everyone but the young woman who hung in the shadows and did not interact with others.  I finally approached her to ask what was wrong.  Her response sent a chill down my spine-  "He is coming and he will kill her if he doesn't find me."

"WHO????" was my query.

The girl bolts to a back entrance and opens the door into the night.  I see a young girl standing at the edge of the street about 50 feet from us.  Then I see a man in the distance.  Based on the way he moved and his actions I knew that he was the one the girl had referred to.  The man is stalking from house to house and with each passing second his actions are becoming more erratic and agitated.  The girl can't take it anymore and screams- "I'm here, leave her be..... it is me you want!"  I could feel her terror and my skin started to crawl.  The man looks up and starts beelining it to the building.  I could sense that the elation of the wedding would soon be replaced by blood, gore and loss.  I yank the girl back inside and bolt the door.  I scream at her to hide and don't come out.

I grab my brother and start forming a plan on how to get us and my mother to safety.  I am gathering running shoes for all of us and phoning 911.....that is when I couldn't take the tension any longer and woke-up.

You would think that after chance to distract myself I would have settled and fell back asleep.  That's what any normal person would do......

Not I, said the reflector.....

I started reflecting on what I could have done differently; on how selfish I was being i.e. in the same amount of time I could have warned everyone and we could have barricade the joint and all be safe; on I could have done to get us all out.  Front door, back door which had the better odds?

Why, why, why??????? Because it seems I need to learn from every stinking experience, even if it is just a dream one.

I thought I was a lost cause and up for good at 4am in the morning, but the next thing I knew my alarm was blaring and it was time to start my day.

This evening I Googled dream interpretations. It seems that the main themes from my dream were signs that I am going to overcome my hurdles and I need to take chances because any current risks will lead to success.

Tonight I doubled down on the Mother's Little Helper.... it better work!  Fingers crossed I am more rested on the morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment