Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Jar of Possibilities- The Distant Cousin of the Sorting Hat

The dwindling challenge list....
Entry from Dec 16, 2015

I am nearing the end of the year long challenge and will soon part company with the Jar of Possibilities.  At the start of the year the jar runneth over with paper.  So much so, I had to store some of the challenges in a Ziploc bag until there was room to add more.  Now there are a few straggly pieces of paper at the bottom.

I have mixed emotions about the challenge ending.  The "finisher" part of me is anxious to catch up, as there are a number of challenges that I have not done.  The lazy part of me of is coming up with prosaic statements such as-  "Isn't part of the challenge accepting things that you can't change?"  "Isn't the more valuable lesson learning how to accept circumstances as they are vs berating yourself for "failing" or fighting to change the situation??????"

As you have probably guessed "The Finisher" could not be convinced.   I have my list and am trying to complete as many outstanding challenges as I can before Dec 31st.   In fact just writing this entry  accomplishes one more of my challenges..... "blog about the experience so far" (originally drawn in Sept).

All in all I am kinda proud of myself.   Yes, I have been lax over the last three months but prior to that I was accomplishing on average 26 challenges a month.  Not bad statistics if you ask me.  I am also impressed by some of the challenges that I thought up-  such as write 5 letters to yourself and give them to a friend to mail out at their whim..... inventive.... Right?

This morning I accomplished a challenge that has been hoovering in the uncompleted pile.  I awoke early to listen to the noises of the morning.

I am on vacation and was up at 5:15 am... that is dedication.

What did I learn from rising early?  

First-  in order to hear morning sounds you need to remove earplugs.

Second-  This challenge might have been more interesting in the summer when the birds are out and about.  In the winter the main morning sound is the whistle of the air billowing out of the hot air register with a side of occasional traffic noises.  Now the sound of the whistle changed in intensity; starting at gusty and gradually subsiding to a dull "fffffissssshhh".  There was an occasional surprise gust from the register but other then that, morning sounds were kinda lack lustre..... not even the dog was snoring.  The cat of course decided to help out and let out intermittent meows from various locations in the house, which made this experiment interesting for about one full minute-   "Great he's outside the bedroom door.... hmmm that sounds like a basement yowl..... okay back to the main floor."  Yup 5:15 am for hot air, traffic and cat calls!

I refused to let "I should have slept in" be the only lesson coming out of this challenge.   I lay in bed and thought about the value of this experience.  Was there a life lesson that could help me in the future?

Yes!

The most valuable lesson gleaned from this experiment is- I suck at listening with my ears.  I found myself  easily distracted by the swirling delight of light patterns on the backs of my eye lids.  Eventually I would realize I was paying more attention to the light show vs morning noises and I would attempt to refocus.  Sadly I spent more time refocusing than listening.

This realization of how poor my true listening skills are, surprised me, as I thought listening was one of my better qualities.

I gave it some thought-  hell I was up for the day, I might as well analyze the situation.  Here is my conclusion:

I listen with my eyes first and ears second.   I need a visual context, to focus on auditory input.   There is some pretty solid research to back up my theory.....  about 80% of communication is non-verbal.  So the next time you are talking to me and you want to make sure I truly hear what you are saying, I suggest you do something avangarde to hold my attention- such as use sock puppets or maybe put on a laser show.

All in all some interesting learning occurred..... and on holiday to boot!

So look at that- I have just accomplished three challenges:
1.  Get up early and listen to the morning sounds.
2.  Blog about the challenge experience so far.
3.  Entertain yourself with free things to do..... (watching the light patterns as they dance across my eyelids)

Lets see if I can knock more challenges off the list.....

Miniver!

I have a miniver.... now I just need a minion!
What you say?  This is the word I found when ticking of the "find a word you don't know and use it" challenge.  Miniver- is fur or a combination of furs formerly used for lining and trimming garments.

Use it in a sentence you say..... well that is cheeky of you... but I am up for the challenge.

"Oh my miniver!!!!!!  It has ripped!  Sacra bleu!"

Whew!  All these challenges accomplished and it is not even 9 am.

I best be heading off to accomplish my next two challenges:
1.  Make up a reason to celebrate today.
2. Have something bubbly to celebrate.

That might be closely followed by drunken calls to the parents to- #3.  Tell the parents you love them... without saying "I love you" and maybe some #4, 5, 6 and 7.... Writing a letter to my 64 year old self, writing 5 letters to myself for random posting, writing a love letter to myself and last but not least writing a letter that I can open on Dec 31, 2015.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Challenge update:
  • Celebration Reason #678-  I scored a free shipping box and all Christmas presents have left my house.  
  • I bought some champagne-  a cheap bottle to celebrate my return to blogging (I finished the whole bottle.... bonus no hangover) and a more expensive bottle to celebrate the end of the challenge.
  • I did call at my mother and accomplished the "I love youless", love you via use of smoochy noises and air hugs.  
  • The letters were not even contemplated because I followed the parental calls with multiple "Hey.... guess what!"  calls to my brother and blogging.  
  • Yes, I like a little cake to go with my icing!
  • Even with all the drinking I did manage to knock-  "Throw yourself an unbirthday party" complete with a homemade double layer German Chocolate cake.  I nailed the icing in one attempt..... broiling can be so finicky!!!
I was going to eat some of the cake yesterday but decided that my stomach might not be able to handle a double assault of booze and cake.  So today started with a big heaping pile o' Breakfast cake!!!!!!  God I love being an adult...... shhh don't tell the children as they think they have the fun factor cornered...... Soooooooo NOT!






Rando picture moment

If everyone wishes maybe it will snow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment