Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Full LaCloche- The Crackin' At the Crack

This post is dedicated to Anne... my biggest fan who has patiently been waiting for the final installment.

When you last met our heroine's they were attempting to walk the La Cloche trail in nine days.  They met with fainting spells,  rain,  a bear or rather a very imposing tree stump posing as a bear,  more rain, gastrointestinal complaints, rain,  hills, rain, rocks,  rain, tree roots, drizzle, waterfalls, fog and finally a sliver of sun.  What was in store for the rest of the journey????  Read on and find out! 

Day 5-  What the F!!!!
I woke up on Day 5 to puddles inside the tent.

Night-time accident????

No!

The storm proved to be too much for my poor tent and it ripped out the window at the end.    My sleeping bag, Thermarest and all the contents in the tent were soaking wet.

Great!  Another day of carrying more water weight.    Glum was the mood of the morning, neither of us were looking forward to what we had in store for the day.

The walk to the privy was still very, very long and did nothing to improve my mood.  To boot, I had a salamander encounter at the privy.  The little bugger ended up crawling up to sit right beside me as I did my business.....  it was a good thing I was sitting where I was as I have a healthy respect (aka phobia) about salamanders which stems from childhood encounters at the Lions Pool where hundreds of the little creatures would come to commune each year making it next to impossible to walk without stepping on one. 

On the plus side, the walk out did not seem half as long as the walk in and before we knew it we were climbing again.

UP

DOWN

UP

DOWN

And so the morning passed away.  On one of the downs we met up with two young women who were hiking the trail together.  They were searching for a phone that they lost when they stopped to take pictures.  They asked us if we had seen it, as they thought they had lost it in this area.  We replied we hadn't and stood chatting for a few minutes, thankful for a break from the relentless up and down of the trail.

We had just started walking again when I caught a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye.  Can you believe it, it was the phone the ladies had been looking for.  We sounded the alert and the ladies doubled back.  The owner was ecstatic as she was dreading the cost of having to replace it on a student budget.  Our parting gift-  they forewarned us of what was to come!!!!

Sometimes in life it is better not to know what is in store.  This would have been one of those situations.  We had both been lamenting about how hard it was to cross the open rock faces without slipping when we found out the mother of mothers was yet to come!

Within a few minutes we were to the spot the ladies warned us about.  Pack free the twosome skipped and tra la laed down the trail.  Meanwhile we were frozen in dread at the edge of an approximate15 foot drop.

Did I mention that S is afraid of heights????  She made it to the edge and could go no further.  She contemplated dropping her pack but was fearful of damaging her sons' iPod.  She also realized that even without the pack the drop was still too far for her to jump down safely. 

I sidled on over and gave the situation a gander.  I didn't like what I saw.  I quickly ruled out going straight down, but I saw that there was a possibility to stand on the ledge and then work my way around a face of rock the jutted out to another ledge and from there, it looked like there was enough hand and foot holds to climb down to the next ledge of rock.

I told S my plan and she looked at me dubiously!

Why?

It might have been the large gap between the two ledges and the outcropping of rock that preceded the gap.

I asked her to scootch over so I could try.  I said a little prayer as I launch myself over the cleft and made it to the ledge on the other side of the jut.  S couldn't believe it!  She was even more amazed when I told her to pass me her pack.

She was in the middle of commenting "There is no way you can hold my pack and your pack and get down...." when I grabbed her pack and hoisted it over.  I clung to the rock holds and moved over more so that she could make it over to hold her pack so I could get down to the next level.  We continued in this fashion until we were back on solid ground.

What is it that they say-  "Slow and steady wins the race!".

Yet again we praised the powers that be that we did not need to hike that part of the trail in the pouring rain.  I definitely did not need slippery rocks to be added to the mix.

It wasn't long after our lunch break when we came across the yellow blaze that identified our turn.  This was probably the longest walk down to a campsite and it kept going.... down.....down.... down.  The decent was reminiscent of that Johnny Cash song-  "I fell into a burnin' ring of fire, I fell down, down, down and the flames grew higher.  But instead of actual flames it was my knees that were burnin'.

As luck had it the sun was out when we made it to David's Lake and Lord did we need it.  I had all my gear to dry and needed to dry out my fly to try and repair the window as another storm was predicted for that night.
David's Lake

A common view-  Boot drying whenever the opportunity presented!

Thank goodness for tree's....Nature's clotheslines!

Not bad for a make-shift repair
We moved our gear around from spot to spot until the sun was hidden behind the trees.  The glue wouldn't bond the window to the fly, so I had to improvise with Gorilla tape and plastic bags.

It was a quick night as we knew a storm was coming and it wasn't long after we retired for the evening that the storm rolled in.  

There are storms and then there are STORMS!   Mother Nature decided a mega storm was needed to battle test my tent repairs.  Lying in the tent I could feel the thunder roll off the lake and travel up and over my body past the tent.  The rain came down in deluge and the lighting cracks sounded like they were happening right over us.  Sleep alluded us both as one storm passed the next cell rolled in.  It was a long, long night.  But I am happy to report it was a dry one!!!!

Day 5 was also the Day that I accidently Dutch ovened myself.  I was snug in my sleeping bag and passed a little gas.  It wasn't until I rolled over 15 minutes later that the gas escaped and filled the tent.  Luckily the odious gas smelled like beef jerky.... okay maybe not that lucky because all I could think about was how much I wanted some beef jerky, but it was hanging up in a tree and there was a storm so I couldn't have any... which just made me want it more.


Day 6-  Pepe la Pew-  Is it Me or the Latrine???
"Morning has broken, like the first morning, black bird has spoken, like the first bird..."  Unfortunately instead of the sunrays and ideallic conditions this song conjures up, Day 6 was a day of cold and unrelenting rain.  We began the long and slippery walk up to the main trail and tried to cheer ourselves up by talking about having a hot lunch instead of normal jerky and GORP staple.  The terrain was still filled with copious PUD's- pointless ups and down (a term that I learned from my reading about the Appalachian trail).

At one point we had to rock climb down yet another wall.  I found a quick way down and decided to take my pack off while I waited for S.  I waited and waited and eventually looked over my shoulder to see what was holding her up.  There was S climbing up the way we came.  

Puzzled I asked where she was headed.  Her reply was the trail goes this way.  "Hmmmmm... not really." I said. You need to head down not up.  The rain and endless rocks can be so disorienting.

The original plan was to leave our packs at the bottom of a side trail and to hike up to the top of Silver Peak.  As we neared the turn off neither of us felt the need to prolong our time out in rain and the cold... yup... the chill set in on Day 6 and it got a little nippy out there.    We trudged along and rejoiced when we hit the turn off for H37- Silver Lake. 

Hot Diggity Dog!  We couldn't wait for our hot lunch to cook as we were both frozen.  As it turned out the Persian Peach Chicken and Rice meal wasn't very good but we scarfed it down as we needed the warmth and the calories.  As soon as the meal was finished we quickly set up our tents so we could get into dry clothing and out of the cold.  

This was the camp site that I regretted having the smaller tent.  S needed a larger space so she nabbed the perfect spot.  I was not so lucky.  The only other option for my tent was right in front of the privy and as it would happen the wind was blowing from that direction.  I had flashbacks to my youth.  In my home town when the wind blows from the east everyone gets a whiff of the sewage plant.... not pleasant. 
S's tent, my tent and right behind that the privy

Do I look like I am enjoying myself... lies, all lies!
As I hunkered down in my only remaining dry clothes and sleeping bag I found myself playing a game... what smells worse-  the privy, my underarms or my boots..... all were in fine odoriferous form!  Thank goodness I had thought to brew some Earl Grey tea.  When the smell got too much I would open the top of my travel mug and inhale the sweet nectar of Bergamot!  
 

The afternoon was spent listening to the weather report... -2 overnight.... and reading.  There is nothing more decadent than being curled up in a sleeping bag and reading the afternoon away while listening to the wind blowing through the trees and the gentle pitter patter of rain on the tent fly.   After days of walking in the rain I was thankful to have a break from it.  



How all afternoons should be spent

Silver Lake has two campsites.  The one we were on and H38.  Both have crappy access to water but out of the two, our site was the better option.  Both S and I chuckled a little as we listened to our fellow lake sharers lamenting about their climb down to the water.  I don't know about S but I was high-fiving myself that I had done my research and knew to ask for H37.





Silver Lake-  Dull grey skies seemed to be our fate!

The sun came out for one brief second on Day 6

Day 7-  Ninja Moves with a Slice of Heaven
Day 7 brought with it sun.  It was a welcome reprieve from the dull grey skies.  We started off our hike heading toward Bunnyrabbit Lake.  Along the way we encountered a mother/daughter hiking team who had stayed at that lake the day before.  We stopped to chat and to find out if the fire ban had finally been lifted, as surely to God the ground had to be saturated enough..... the answer was a negatory, the ban was still in place.   The ladies informed us that they hike this trial every year.  S and I looked at each other and it's like we were telepathically communicating through eyebrow raises and slight facial changes.... "Who would willingly do this year after year!  INCONCEIVABLE!

We started lamenting about all the rain we had encountered and that was when this dynamic duo reported that their solution to rain is to hike in their sandals and to carry their boots under their backpack covers.  Neither S or I are convinced that this option is worth the risk of injury, but not having to walk in McSquishy boots did sound nice.

Not long after we encountered the women we lost the path.  S was adamant that the path was just up this rock face and through a "little" bit of bush.  The whole situation felt harder than it really ought to be so I retraced our path and discovered that we were meant to turn left after the creek crossing not forge ahead.  Back on trail we continued to encounter many, many PUD's.  There was one in particular that had me sucking wind and starting to think that maybe living in the forest might be a viable option.  Luckily S provided the motivation to keep on plodding up, up, up.  

Heaven Lake (taken on a previous trip)

By noon we made it to Heaven Lake.  Heaven Lake is the highest lake in the park and is a little slice of heaven.  It was also where the two women who lost their phone were staying.  We chatted with them about the hike and their school while picnicking on Babybel's and jerky.  The women indicted that they planned on hiking out the next day.  I used this as a opportunity to continue to plant the seed that we could finish the trail as well the next day.  S still wasn't sold so I pulled out the heavy guns.... just picture it... we could shower and wash off all this dirt, sweat and grime.  I could see that S was taking the bait!

Finally we arrived at our site for the night Little Superior! For years we had tried to book this site but it is next to impossible to get it unless you are doing the full trail.  There is a climb to get into this site but it is so worth it.   

We took advantage of the sun and the spacious site and unpacked all our gear and packs to allow everything to dryout.  This was the first time since the first day on the trail that everything was totally dry.  Our well used clothes were so dry that they were stiff like cardboard and could stand-up on their own.  

This site also provided access to an awesome rock ledge that allowed us to sit and dangle our used and abused feet in the refreshing waters, our grins were from ear to ear and our previous trail grippes were quickly forgotten.
Little Superior- Is is a bird?  Is it a plane?  It's blue frickin' sky!!!

All too soon frolic time was done and we started the work of setting up camp.  One of my assigned tasks is to hang the food, as I have some master skills related to tossing rocks and ropes.  On this occasion I miss judged my toss and the line got stuck up in the tree.  Not a problem.... this has happened countless times before.  I did what I normally do, I yanked on the line.... but what happened next was anything but usual.  It took a second for me to realize that the rock was coming back at me at a faster speed than it usually does and it was coming straight at my face.  With lighting fast reflexes (something I did not know I possessed) my hand shot up in front of my face and deflected the rock.  I was torn between doing a jig to celebrate avoiding a head injury and swearing a blue streak due to pain in my index finger.  The throbbing throughout the rest of the night acted as a reminder to be grateful that it was my finger that was hurt not my face.  

As I mentioned, I had been trying to convince S to end the trip on Day 8 vs 9.   I was convinced that we could do it and continued talk about how good it would feel to wash the 7 days of grime off and to be in clean clothes finally worn S down and she was on board.  Tomorrow we would be squeaky clean and on the road back to civilization and the food item of our choice (mine was sushi).  

Tired of carrying more weight than we needed to we decided we would eat the "bonus" meal so that we did need to carry it out.  We were both skeptical about the freeze dried beef and potato dinner as the picture wasn't too appealing.   As it turns out it was one of the best meals of the trip... I guess you can't judge a meal by the name as plain jane beef and potato was infinitesimally better than Peach Persian Chicken.  

After such a blissful day it was hard to pack it in for the night but we needed sleep so that we had the energy to finish hiking out the next day.  I blissfully fell asleep planning everything I was going to do once I was home.  S wasn't as lucky as a porcupine decided to come down and visit her side of the campsite.   Thinking about it maybe it was the lingering smell of latrine on my tent that saved me from a similar visit.  Long live Pepe la Pew!!!!!

Day 8-  The Crack Claims Another Victim
I was up early on Day 8 for two reasons-  I was madly hankering for a shower and I had a secret goal.... I wanted to be fully packed before S; who had won 7 out of the 8 morning packing challenges (not that she knew she was in a competition; let alone that she was winning).  Do you know how hard it is to quietly fill compression bags.... very, very difficult but some how I managed to be quiet enough to get it all done while S slumbered.  By the time she queried if I was up all I had left to pack was the tent.  

Victory was mine!!!!!

I savoured the win as I knew what was in our future.... open rock faces and many, many PUD's.  We didn't have far to walk to start the first uphill rock climb.  
Poor S! (Taken previous visit)

I had to laugh when S saw it, as her reaction was much the same as mine a few years previous.  I let her know that this particular section truly is more of a bitch going down than up.  We slowly picked our way up and up and up.   

Maybe it was getting up early, maybe it was age but Day 8 brought with it bone grinding pain in my knees and ankles.  When we stopped for lunch at the top of the Crack I dug out my pain relievers and decided it was worth double dipping (two Tylenol/two Ibuprofen).  I couldn't wait for the drugs to work their magic as the biggest and longest down was about to happen.  

For those of you who have never done the Crack, here are some shots of the boulders that you have to climb over, around and down.  It is not for the faint of heart, nor for people who are not sure footed as many of the rocks look stable but start wobbling as soon as you commit to standing on it.  

THE CRACK (take previous visit)

I flew down this section, as the happy thought of showering was spurring me on.  S on the other hand became "stuck" about 1/2 way down.   As soon as I realized I took off my pack and clambered back up the rocks to carry her pack down for her.  

Once through the boulder section the trail switch backs over a large rock face that has.... you guessed it more PUD's.  We were both happy when the rocky section was done.  All that was left was a steep dirt downhill, cross a stream and then we would have rather level forest walking for another 6 km.

As we started down the last hill of this section, we realized that there was a group of about 20 people climbing their way up the middle.  We moved over the the side and started our descent.  S was nimble and had already switch backed to the other side when I lost my footing.  

I had forgone my normal 4 point backward bear walk as I didn't think the group of 20 wanted to see my lumbering buttocks making it's way down the trail to meet them.  That was my mistake.  Side ways walking proved to be my undoing.... leftie slipped on loose rubble and before I could react it was sliding down the hill where it wiped out rightie.  I tumbled forward and was able to brace myself with my hands on the dirt and rock above me.  The pain in leftie was excruciating.  I was frantically trying to push my weight up and off my foot and ankle but the position of leftie was making it challenging.  I pushed up again and tried to wiggle leftie out.... and then the weight of my pack shifted up and over my head and there was a very loud pop and searing pain!
The scene of the crime! (Taken previous visit


FUUUUUUUCCCCCK! was out of my mouth before I could even register I was speaking.  Imagine my chagrin when I looked up only to see a small child within feet of me.   I continued swearing but reverted to internal swear combinations.    I don't know how it is possible for my ankle to be both numb and excruciatingly painful at the same time but that was what was happening.  It took a few minutes before I could summon the physical and mental ability to try and move my ankle.  By this time the small child was adjacent to me.  He looked really, really worried and kept asking if I was alright.  I wasn't.... but I didn't want to add to his angst so put on a smile (which in hind sight was probably more of a strained grimace) and used a sing song voice to say "No Worries!  I'll be fine.  I just need to rest it.  Look!  See it's moving.  It's all good!  Go enjoy your hike".  the child was unconvinced and it took a few minutes before I could encourage him to continue walking up the hill.  Such a compassionate soul! 

S was now trapped on the other side of the trail and couldn't help, as the rest of the day hiking group had reached us and were continuing their slow assent up the hill.  "Smile and wave." became my mantra.  As soon as the group had passed I stood up and started putting full weight on my foot.  After the initial few steps I declared we were finishing the last 6 km.  Nothing was going to stop us.  5 steps later sounds were coming out of me that I had never heard before... think keening noises.  By the bottom of the hill I had changed my mind and opted for the short cut out to a parking lot where we could bum a ride back to the main camp ground.  

S jumped into action and raced out ahead, hoping that she could get a ride back to my truck and be back at the parking lot before I hobbled out.  I would love to say that I was stoic on the walk out but it went something like this..... 

Ugly cry blubbering....

Oh crap! People approaching!

Wipe away tears and snot

Smile extra big, exchange pleasantries..... 

The moment the people were out of my periphery... resume ugly crying.

REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT!!!!!! Ad nauseum.

The only people that I broke down in front of was a family with a Golden Retriever.  All I wanted was some Golden love but the dog sensed I was not right in the head and wanted nothing to do with me.  In my conversation with the Mom and Dad I finally admitted I thought my ankle might be broken and as soon as I said it the water works turned on.  They couldn't high-tail it out of there fast enough.  I can't blame them.... run people, run!

As I was nearing the trail head two tall, blonde, lithe Valkyries swooped in on me.  They asked if I was the woman who was hurt on the trail.  I confirmed that I was.  They informed me they were there to rescue me and carry my pack out.  I was hesitant to hand the pack over because 

a.  They were clean
b. The pack most certainly was not.  
c. Atholl is and continues to be my burden to bear.  

They would not take no for an answer and frankly my energy was now focused on holding it together.  

I'm laughing as I write this... just remembering the look on the unlucky Valkyrie's face when she put the pack on.  She commented "The other woman told us about the rain is your pack still wet from that?"  

Uhhhhh no........ I hate to tell you, but  that moistness you are feeling is today's sweat.   That might be the last time she volunteers to help anyone.  

Pack off, I flew down the trail.  A comment was made that I could take my time and slow down, but I needed out and to be one step closer to home.  

It didn't take long to reach the parking lot.  The pack toting Valkyrie shed the pack ASAP, probably cringing inwardly but putting on her neutral "I'm OK" face.   With seconds a guy saunters over to ask if I was the injured back-packer.  He was disappointed that I made it out before he could swoop in and help.  If only he had been on the trail he would have carried me out on his back.  He obviously doesn't know me and how extremely difficult it is for me to accept help.  Quite frankly I would be more likely to crawl and claw my way down a trail than agree to be carried.  

As we waited I found out my rescuers were from Germany and were travelling across Canada visiting Parks.  They were just parking when S reached the parking lot and their other friend gladly drove her back into the Park to get the truck.  I sighed with relief when S pulled into the parking lot with the truck.  

It wasn't until I got in the vehicle that I realized my dream of a shower wasn't going to happen.  I couldn't risk my ankle and foot swelling by taking off the boot.  I offered to wait for S to have a shower but she was magnanimous and declined.  If I was going to be tres dirty, she was going to be as well.

The drive north to Sudbury gave us some time to weigh the pros and cons of going to the closest Hospital or waiting until we got home to head to the local hospital.   It didn't take long for me to make the decision... the sooner I knew for sure what I was dealing with the better.  

S dropped me off at the main doors to the Emergency and went to park as I hobble in with my walk pole as an ambulatory aid.  It didn't take long for me to become self-conscious of how bedraggled and dirty I was.  I found myself being very quick to explain I had been in the bush for 8 days and I hoped against hope that everyone I encountered took that to mean that my lack of hygiene was a blip... not a common occurrence.  I was quickly sent to Radiography where there was a surprising lack of chairs.  It felt like I was standing in the hall for an eternity before they called my name.  It wasn't until I was on the table that it occurred to me that my boot and socks would need to come off.  The same boot and socks that days before I was trying to figure out smell better or worse than the smells coming from the privy.  I warned the  X-ray Tech to give me a large berth, to hold her breath and give me a bag I could quickly pop the boot into to contain the smell.  She gladly complied.  

X-ray done I was escorted down the hall to another bay to await the final verdict.  As I waited for the Dr.  I changed from my hiking pants to my rain pants with the side zips just in case I needed a cast.   No sense in destroying a perfectly good pair of pants.  

The Dr. arrived and informed me that indeed I had a spiral fracture of one of my bones and I would need a cast.  The Dr. was going straight to casting when S piped up and commented-  "Could you at least wash her leg and foot... we have been out in the bush for the last 8 days and it will be a while before she will be able to wash that part of her leg!".  The Dr. commented that it would cost extra but did a quick sponge bath of my limb before casting.  

The nurse arrived with crutches that were entirely too big for me but which she convinced me were supposed to fit like that... my brain said neigh, neigh... but my body just wanted the hell out of Dodge so I gladly accepted them and vaulted my way out of the building.  

A quick stop at Harvey's for a burger and a bathroom pit-stop and we were headed home. 

All in all it was a great trip but it still bugs me that we missed completing the trail by "that much"!  

S continued to be a great help over the next few days as I relearned how to complete activities of daily living like crawling up and bum scooting down stairs; getting groceries; making meals and doing laundry. I didn't realize how much I took my mobility for granted until I was couch/bed bound.  

ADDITIONAL NOTES AND SUNDRIES:
  • If you are ever in a jam, pray to God that German tourists are around, as they really brought their helpful A game!
  • Handy pharmaceuticals that helped make the trip bearable: Naproxen; Tylenol; Pepto Bismol; Gravol; Advil
  • Books Read on the trip: PS I Love You; Always and Forever Lara; Confessions of a First Time Mom;  13 Ways of Looking at Fat Girl (partial); The Home for Unwanted Girls (partial).
  • # of Times that I questioned my definition of fun:  1,000,000 to the millionth power
  • Impromptu Sing Alongs: 11; including an amazing duet to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on the drive home.
  • Best Song of the Trip: It was a tough decision so I am picking two-  A little ditty my nephew taught me: I Farted, it tickled, my butt cheeks giggled and The Proclaimers- "500 Miles" both were sung ad naseum. 
  • Pro tip:  Include the distances or estimated distances of travelling from the turn off into the camp site in your overall totals.  There is nothing worse then getting to the yellow blaze and then finding out you still have another .8-1.5 km to walk.
  • Pictures of the various casts that I sported post trip:

The original beastie

Cast #2



Third time was the charm































  • I was in a cast and non-weight bearing from Aug 31- mid December and did not fully graduate from crutches until the end of Jan.  It was a long haul.
  • Another Pro Tip:  If you need to get crutches at the Hospital make sure they fit them properly for you.  They "sold" me crutches for someone 5' 10" tall.  I am not 5' 10" tall which meant it felt like I was pole vaulting everything I was propelling forward and I also could not use the crutches in my house.  Thank goodness I had appropriate sized crutches at home.  
  • An assortment of bruises from the trip:
    When back country camping the legs take a beating.


In order to save your face sometimes a finger has to be sacrificed.

The result of the sling and swing method of donning a pack


  • It took another two weeks before the dogs were able to come home.  A huge shout-out to Golden Pride Kennels for keeping them way longer than anticipated and to S for picking them up.  It was a happy day when they returned.  
The Return of Gimli & Ferg
  • Did you know that crutch tips and dog fur don't work well together.  I found out the hard way when a tuft of floating fur got trapped under the crutch when I got up in the middle of the night.  The crutch skidded away from me and I headed for a tosser and had to touch down.... searing pain!
The liberating freedom of gliding
  • Tasks like doing your laundry become an event when you are on crutches.  I would load the laundry in garbage bags and throw it down the stairs.  I would pack up a small pack filled with the phone, snacks, iPad and beverages and butt scoot down the stairs, because once I was down in the "pit of despair" aka my basement, I was there until the laundry was done.  
  • Pro Tip #3-  Did you know that bras are not just for carrying and containing boobs... this handy product also makes an amazing hands free carrier for food, phones, etc. 
  • A shout- out to K who loaned me her mother's Rollator so that I could use it inappropriately, to glide around the house with my knee propped on it until the cast came off.  I also learned the hard way that Rollators don't easily handle the transition in flooring changes.  I was basking in the freedom of gliding down the hall when the wheels struck the edge of the tile and I, the garbage I was carrying and the Rollator went ass of tea kettle to the floor.  Fun times... fun times! 
  • I managed to work from my bed until the cast finally came off.  I kind of missed my office assistant Ferg when I returned to the office.
Ferg The Taskmaster
  • Never did I ever think I would be excited to pay bills but I can't tell you how liberating it felt the first time I drove after being casted.
First "Road Trip" post casting
  • My convalescence stash

    I did not expect the PTSD...  I would wake in the night in a sweat from dreams about fracturing my leg and I would be up for hours before I could fall back asleep.  Every book I read and show I watched during that time seemed to have a leg/ankle fracture that would leave me cringing.   
  • I am a lucky woman... there were many people who graciously showed up to help me out.  S who not only made sure I made it home but who kept me stocked in Snapple and sour soothers;
    the teen down the street who helped walk the dogs; my co-workers and friends who provided some ready made meals while I was relearning everything;  M for taking over mentoring the new OT's in my absence; K for the rides to my appointments and for the cheer-up ice cream; Dance Mom S who came to walk dogs; P who found a fantastic forever home for the foster dog I was carrying for at the time; my neighbour who helped me pick-up dog poo; my sister who flew my Mom out to care for me and my Mom who did what she does best... Mummied me to the extreme.  
  • It has taken two years to feel fully confident back-packing again.  But here are some shots from trips I have taken since The Crackin' at the Crack.  Notice the new tent!!!


    My Partner in Back-packing Crime

    Leftie Survived
    2021 Orphan Lake with the Expanded Herd- Oaks, Whisper and Ferg!






No comments:

Post a Comment